Monday, April 26, 2010

Gunna List - Update

Checking in to update today progress...

Organise the Laundry Cupboard - DONE!
Washing - 5 loads - DONE!!
Cook a Roast - Cooking and smelling devine!
Bake some goodies for lunch boxes - Apple & Cinnamon Slice and Fruit Buns - DONE!!

Still to do

My friend's homemade present
Create a mock up of some cupcake designs


Also completed...

Cleaned the shower
Cleaned 2 toilets
Cooked a pot of Spicy Lentil Soup
Decorated cupcakes with my daughter


So I can feel comfortable I've been productive today and there will be absolutely no guilt if I don't get the whole list checked off. In getting through today, it occurred to me how many tools we have to get things done, I wonder if we use them all as often and efficently as we should?

For instance, baking with yeast. I know alot of people are afraid of cooking with yeast, and are of the opinion it's very time consuming. I beg to differ. My experience has been that yeast is very forgiving as long as you follow the principles and allow the process to complete fully. Now that did make it sound like a long process, which it is, but you don't have to stand around watching the time! I would suggest your total "hands on" time for most yeast products is no more than 5 -10mins! Who doesn't have that available??

Ofcourse I am referring to being able to use a bread maker for the task, however, I do also enjoy kneading by hand if I want to make a triple batch of dough. I love my breadmaker, but must admit, it took me a few years before I catually started to use it. And here's the thing...I never cook a loaf of bread in it. Or anything for that matter. Embracing the dough setting has changed the offerings in the kitchen!

An example from today is making fruit buns. Pop everything into the machine, go off, put a load of washing on, scrub the shower, have a cuppa , quickly catch a few pages of a book..then beep dough is ready! I just divide it up into balls and then while it was enjoying it's second rising, I quickly threw the ingredients together for the Apple Slice. Once done, they both went into the oven. 15 mins later the buns are done, and another 15mins the slice was done. The hardest part was working out which smelt better coming from the oven.

Here is the finished Apple Cinnamon Slice..


You've got to be quick around here, I didn't even get to take a picture before one of the kids tucked into it!

As for the breadmaker, here as some ideas to get you started..




 From Top - Apple Scrolls, Pizza Scrolls, Pizza, Fruit Loaf and Hot Cross Buns

So what equipement have you got lying around you haven't used in a while?

Just before I head off, I mentioned decorating cupcake with my daughter. Here is her proudly displaying some of her work


No comments:

Post a Comment