Saturday, June 12, 2010

Cakes for a Cause

See my problem?? Neither time or inclination have been in the same too often of late. But that's not to say I haven't been busy. A couple of weeks ago a friend made us all aware of a fundraiser she was putting together to raise money for the Childhood Cancer Association. It's terrible that we even need to be raising money for such causes, but hopefully, with enough effort and research, we can make inroads to erradicating this terrible disease. This was particularly close to home for my friend has her 3 year old godson has Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia

Now like many, money has been pretty tight in our home, but I still wanted to be able to help. Knowing this was an event she was creating, and looked to my talents and offered to bake some cupcakes for her to sell. It allowed me to practice decorating, and gave her another way to raise money. I ended up making 8 Dozen cupcakes which she sold for $2 each. I can happily report she sold them all and my small contribution raised her about $190.00

But a huge shout out goes to this incredible woman. Her efforts in a regional town raised just over $1200.00. She had Hot firemen, a sausage sizzle, drinks, coloured hair spray, raffles, and even Darth Vader & Princess Leiya turned up. The raffle baskets were incredible!! The thing that was really special about the event was that EVERYTHING was donated to her. So as well as a special woman putting in hard work for a great cause, an entire community got behind her and offered support. Even her place of work were happy to allow her to use their grounds, and they have the most prominent place in town, right next to the main stop lights!

It's days like this that make you glad you helped, and even though you can have crappy days, and people can be horrible and nasty, by and large, there are still many people trying to do good.

So here are my little creations that did my little bit to help, and I can report I made everything myself, from the cakes, to the icing, to the decorations.


Chocolate Fudge Cakes with Choc Buttercream, topped with Fuchocs


Chocolate Fudge cakes with Peppermint Buttercream


Vanilla Character Cakes


Chocolate Cakes with Vanilla Buttercream and Frangipani's


Vanilla Cakes with Vanilla Buttercream


3 comments:

  1. The cupcakes are absolutely wonderful! You are so artistic and talented. Thanks for sharing these terrific cupcakes. What tip did you use for the Vanilla Cupcakes with the Vanilla Buttercream? R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! They all look great! Thanks so much for sharing them on Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your lovely comments. I used the Wilton 2D tip in the last picture. When "swirlling" bounce your hand slowly up and down as you make your way around the cupcake.

    ReplyDelete